Saturday, August 23, 2014

New blog!

The act of starting a new blog is always exciting. I can tell you this because this is my second time creating one and so obviously that makes me an expert on the matter. Obviously. A new blog is so shiny and clean and full of potential. Kind of like beginning a new novel. The world is your oyster. Crack that sucker open. Or something. I'm not sure where I was going with this analogy.

But writing a blog also makes me nervous. Will I have anything interesting to say? Will anyone want to listen? Am I just shouting into the void? HELLO IS ANYBODY THERE HELLO? YES I'D LIKE TO TELL YOU SOME THINGS

But you know what? That's okay. Because I'm a writer. And writers write. Also, we tend to have some experience with writing in a vacuum, without an audience. John Green once compared the act of writing a novel to a lengthy game of Marco Polo, where you spend a large amount of time going "Marco Marco Marco" all by yourself in your room, hard at work on a piece of fiction, writing and rewriting and editing and (let's be honest) suffering, until finally... one day in the future, a reader gets a hold of your work. And they reply, "Polo."

That's what it's about, in the end, isn't it? Connecting to a reader. Connecting, period.

I hope with this blog I can connect to all you readers and writers out there in the wild blue yonder of the internet! I hope we will become great friends.

I hope, one day very soon, when I call MARCO, you will answer "Polo."

(And I'll try not to lead you into the edge of the pool when it's my turn. Agreed?)

3 comments:

  1. It's about time. I have missed reading your interesting and clever observations.

    ReplyDelete